Saturday, December 22, 2007

Thankful for being raised


Photo: Daniel, Dad, and I (Circa 1972 - Brooklyn New York)
I called Dad on my 39th born-day (12/19/2007) hoping to speak to he and Mom. I normally buy presents for my parents on my born-day and leave a card saying "Thank you for life.......Seko". The way I see it they gave birth on the day I was born so it should be a shared celebration. Folks think I'm crazy for this practice and I can't seem to get my kids into it after the Wifey told my son "That's not necessary" after he asked her what she wanted for his/hers/my birthday. This year I was feeling sick and knew I was broke-er than normal so I stayed in the bed and only kept a few appointments that day. I woke up around 6:30 p.m. feeling incomplete. Picking up my cellie I say that Mom called and left a message. I'm sure they were wondering what happened as I've been sharing the birthday with them for over 15 years now.
So Pops picks up the phone and I say "Happy Birthday Dad." He pauses, as normal, and then says "Yea... Happy Birthday Son. Your Mother and I wondered when we would hear from you today." He then says "I want to thank you for what you said at Thanksgiving, that made Mom and I feel honored." Although we spent Thanksgiving dinner with Wifey's fam' we visited my parents the next day and when my turn came to explain what I was thankful for I planned to thank GOD, thank the ancestors, and thank the wifey (in that order) but when I opened my mouth I heard myself say "I'm thankful for the way I was raised." Feeling a little shocked I closed my mouth quickly and smiled to make sure I didn't say anything else I didn't plan too (some secrets gotta' go to the grave) and squeezed the wifey's hand to notify her that it was her turn to speak. Dad then shared how he and Mom sat up late one night and discussed those eight words I didn't plan to say. Sometimes my heart just speaks for me, or maybe the almighty speaks through me, or maybe the ancestors want a message passed, or possibly the three are actually one. I didn't plan to make that statement but it's so very true. As I've looked at my peers, co-workers, clients, and surrounders I've often said to myself "I'm glad I wasn't raised like this." or "I'm glad I was raised like this."
A few days before my born-day I was sitting in the office of one of the agencies I work for facing an angry owner who told me "You are a failure! Yes, you are a failure. You are sooooooo Afro-centric, soooooooo about the community, sooooooooooo this and that, but you are really a failure. I know your parents and I know it's not about how you were raised so I don't understand why you are such a failure." I'm thinking "This trick is crazy." but I kept my mouth shut while she talked and simply said "I know I didn't approach that project as aggressively as I should have. I just wouldn't have said it that way. I have to disagree with you." She responded "I expected you to say something like that. I just want to hear what you are going to do from this point on." I responded "I'll let my work speak for me." as I kinda' left the room. I was still in the room and I'm sure she was still talking, but I was gone. As I left the room (physically) I was thinking to myself "Wow.......The way I was raised ? She knows the way I was raised ?"
My cousin Sean emailed me. He lives in Britain now with his wifey-4-lifey Carol. (Visit my first blog that detailed my experience at his wedding.) They are expecting ! I remember talking with him in London about the way he was raised and the way he would want to raise his kids. He said "I kinda' want to be the type of father your father was." I told him. "Yea, I do too." It's great to be thankful for my upbringing. I work hard to make sure my kids will say the same. Like Ed O.G. said "Be a Father to your child." It's funny. I used to think the phrase 'raise your child' simply meant to care for and love your child. Now the phrase means that the care and love and discipline I provide to my children should take them to the next levels. Ashee, Ashee, Ashee.

No comments: